Data Extraction & Reporting Services - Rush University Medical Center (RUMC)
Background: Rush University Medical Center
Rush University Medical Center (RUMC) is an academic medical center that includes a 671-bed hospital serving adults and children, the 61-bed Johnston R. Bowman Health Center, and Rush University. For more than 170 years, the Medical Center has been leading the way in developing innovative and often life-saving treatments.
Rush is a thriving center for basic and clinical research, with physicians and scientists involved in hundreds of research projects developing and testing the effectiveness and safety of new therapies and medical devices.
RUMC’s legacy data warehouse was developed 10+ years ago and resided on an Oracle Database Server. Rush wanted to deploy Epic’s Caboodle Warehouse which runs on Microsoft SQL Server. The challenge was to recreate the reports and extracts that were being served by the Oracle DW to be instead served from Clarity or Caboodle.
- Data Extracts migration – 314e’s team automated several jobs that retrieve the data out of their enterprise data warehouse. The data was exported as a flat file and then sent over secure FTP to an internal or 3rd party agency that consumed the data for reporting purposes
- Business Objects universe migration – 314e’s team migrated several business objects universes to extract data from Caboodle warehouse instead of legacy data marts
- Reports (Crystal & WebI) Migration
- Database programming using PL/SQL as well as T-SQL
- Migration of a data warehouse from Oracle to MS SQL Server
- Migration of Financial & Readmissions data marts to Caboodle to support WebI reports migration
- Custom data mart and dashboard creation
By partnering with the 314e team, RUMC realized the benefits of using the specialized talent needed for such projects. In addition, RUMC realized significant savings in the costs as compared to the original estimates.
Key Technologies involved
314e’s Cloud Adoption Services
Converting existing VM or physical machine into cloud computing instance and containerize workloads
Desktop apps virtualizing via app streaming; Web app migration using APIs and service mesh technologies
Migrating existing data marts and application-specific relational database silos into the cloud
314e has extensive expertise for migration to any of the big three – AWS, GCP, and Azure platforms